MOUNT VERNON, OR 97865
The Mount Vernon post office was established in 1877 and named after a black stallion that belonged to settler David W. Jenkins. The stallion’s stable a small stone building, is still standing in a field on the north side of U.S. Highway 26 about 2.2 miles east of the main intersection in town. In 1915 the ranching community had a population of 60 and a hotel at a hot springs resort approximately 2 miles north.
Mount Vernon is a short distance from mountains, lakes, fishing, backpacking into wilderness areas and roadless areas.
Like most small communities, Mount Vernon is proud of it’s heritage and very welcoming to visitors!