The Sumpter Valley Railway (SVRy) was chartered in 1890 in Baker City and completed in 1910. The SVRy Passenger Station, commonly known as the Prairie City Depot, was constructed in 1910. It is a two story building of balloon frames construction, cruciform in plan, measuring 60 x 32 feet. The building has shiplap siding, jerkin headed cross-axial gable roofs, and bracketed, wraparound canopies which shelter the ground level doors of the east and west wings which contained freight storage and a passenger waiting room respectively.
The Depot was nominated into the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and restored throught the efforts of Mrs. Babs Brainard and the Sumpter Valley Depot Restoration Committee. The museum moved into the building in 1983.
Open May 15th - October 15th Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat 10:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m.